BMS Reset Procedure
From Unofficial Zero Manual
Revision as of 19:14, 4 June 2019 by BrianTRice (revise for 2017+ with some cleanups)
- Key the bike off and unplug it from charging.
- Wait for the contactor to click open.
- Uncover the battery LED indicators.
- 2015-2016: Remove the upper rubber pad from the front of the battery case.
- 2013-2014,2017+: Remove the rubber pad from the front of the battery case.
- The uncovered hole reveals a string of small LEDs: one red on the left followed by four green.
- They'll indicate charge level when the bike is keyed off.
- Uncover the diagnostic connection port and reset buttons.
- 2015-2016: Remove lower rubber pad from the front of the battery case.
- 2013-2014,2017+: These were uncovered in the previous step.
- Notice a white plastic port coated in dielectric grease.
- Above that port are two small micro-switch buttons which are the reset buttons.
- The left (as you face it) button performs a hardware reset.
- The right (as you face it) button performs a software reset.
- Press to reset
- 2013-2014: There is only one reset button above the plastic port which performs a hardware reset.
- 2015+: Take a pen (say) and depress the (right) software reset button for a few seconds and then release.
- Expect the BMS indicating LEDs to go dark while the button is depressed and then turn on again when release.
- The lights should stabilize after an initial startup sequence for a few seconds.
- Check whether the error code is clear by keying on the vehicle or whatever is appropriate.
- 2015+: If the error is still present after a software reset, try the hardware reset button in the same way.
- 2015+: If the error is still present after a hardware reset, try both at the same time.
- Replace the removed pads.