Difference between revisions of "Gen2/Armored Front Brake Line Rerouting"
From Unofficial Zero Manual
(extract from Common Problems)
Revision as of 06:31, 13 January 2020
- The DS and FX have an armored front brake line with ABS wire clipped onto it that runs in front of the handlebars.
- It usually obscures the ignition but sometimes the lower part of the dash display.
- 2017 models' design resolves this.
- It's okay to re-route the cable or use some strap (zip tie or hook-and-loop) to pull it towards the handlebar to clear up the cockpit.
- Remove the 4 dashboard bolts.
- Remove the 2 headlight bolts.
- Push dashboard through loop in brake line.
- Unplug the 2 headlight wires.
- The main connector is tight; it's easier remove the bulb, but don't touch it.
- Put the brake line on other side of headlight wires.
- Replace the headlight wires.
- Wire-tie the ABS wire plug to the larger plug behind the dashboard, so it doesn't dangle.
- Replace the dashboard with 4 bolts.
- Observe the arc of the brake line.
- Is it forming too tight an arc? Move it if so.
- Turn the handlebar to its extremes, and observe the brake line.
- Compress the front forks (lean on bike), while moving handlebar to extremes, and observe brake line.
- Is it rubbing against anything sharp?
- Repeat until you're satisfied there is no way the brake line is endangered.
- Bolt on the headlight.
- Perform a final check (turning the handlebars and compressing the forks) for abrasion.
- Test drive: go up/down curbs, or otherwise compress / test range of motion.