From Unofficial Zero Manual
This describes the basic safe steps to disable the bike's powertrain before working on it.
- Any work around the vehicle that does not require it to be on should start with this.
- This derives from the general philosophy and practice of Lockout-tagout procedures in industrial workplace settings.
- Prevent inadvertent, unexpected, or just inappropriate wheel and belt spinup.
- Toggle the cutout switch to off.
- Key off the bike.
- Remove the key from the ignition lock to prevent re-energizing without positive intent.