From Unofficial Zero Manual
This describes the basic safe steps to disable the bike's powertrain before working on it.
- Any work around the vehicle that does not require it to be on should start with this.
- This derives from the general philosophy and practice of Lockout-tagout procedures in industrial workplace settings.
- Prevent inadvertent, unexpected, or just inappropriate wheel and belt spinup.
- Toggle the cutout switch to off.
- Key off the bike.
- Remove the key from the ignition lock to prevent re-energizing without positive intent.
- Remove power sources that could charge the bike.
- Unplug the cord feeding the onboard charger.
- Disconnect any accessory charging connector to the accessory charging port.
- Disconnect any J1772 or Type 2 connector to your Charge Tank or other onboard aftermarket charging equipment.