From Unofficial Zero Manual
A loose Kickstand means that the kickstand moves laterally against the pivot on the mount.
- It's caused by lack of lubrication.
- Without any lubricant the aluminum stand wears away from the friction of putting the stand up and down.
- The bolt and bushing are steel; over time the the hole in the stand gets enlarged by the corrosion from the steel bushing.
- Solution Strategies
- Shim or replace the bushings.
- Replace the entire assembly including the bolt, bushing, and the stand.
- When assembling the new one apply plenty of waterproof grease.
- To get the spring on, mount the spring to the bike and stand with the stand in the up position.
- Get someone to help, get the stand mounted as close as possible, have your helper ready with the bolt, give the stand a bit of a pull as your helper inserts the bolt.
- Use blue locktite on the threads.
- Keep it well lubricated with spray grease (not, say, WD-40) to avoid this from happening again.