From Unofficial Zero Manual
A streamlined electric motorcycle could be extremely efficient and practical.
- Terry Hershner and Craig Vetter's Zero Streamliner proved that efficiency was possible by setting several records.
- This was done at a cost of altering the frame, considered impractical by many.
- Vetter has shown that his full teardrop reduces highway speed energy use by 50%.
- It is optimized for 70 MPH with a 30 MPH headwind.
Reducing drag by mounting fairings that reduce the overall wetted surface of the vehicle and distributing pressure over the surface of that body.
- See Also
- Wikipedia's Streamliner article for some history.
- Kammback describes the efficiency of a truncated teardrop, which is more stable in crosswinds.
- Loss of efficiency at speed is very high for a motorcycle and rider.
- Recharge rates for electric motorcycles will be roughly proportional to discharge rates at highway speeds for the near-term future.
- So, minimizing drag changes the ratio of time spent riding to charging, which makes a Zero more suitable for travel.