From Unofficial Zero Manual
(Redirected from Kickstand Replacement)
This replaces the Kickstand.
- Large flat-blade screwdriver or specialized tool like drum brake spring pliers for spring removal and replacement.
- Needlenose pliers for the 3/8" E-clip.
- Place the motorcycle on a center lift.
- Pull the spring off of the kickstand hook with a large flat blade screwdriver or a specialized kickstand spring release tool.
- Be extremely careful working with the kickstand spring as it is under high tension.
- A specialized tool makes this easier.
- Pull the E-clip off of the inside of the pivot.
- Remove the pivot pin.
- Remove the kickstand.
- Perform the above steps in reverse (sic)
- Place the new kickstand onto the pivot.
- Clean the pin and apply fresh grease to it.
- Insert the pin and fasten it with a new 3/8" E-clip.
- Raise the kickstand to its stowed/horizontal position, where the spring requires the least amount of force/extension to install.
- Install the spring over the kickstand hook with a suitable tool (see tools requirements).
- Note: This is the most difficult and dangerous part of the job.
- Use eye protection while doing this and ensure your hands won't be damaged if the spring flies back while getting it over the hook.
- Focus on applying steady force with as much leverage as possible to extend the spring back along the swingarm.
- One trick is to use a strong line looped through the hook as a pulley.
- Another trick is to bend the spring enough back and forth to insert pennies between the coils, which holds it in an extended position.
- Then loop the spring over the hook and pull the pennies out with pliers.
- Check the operation of the kickstand a few times.
- Put the kickstand down before letting the motorcycle off the lift to rest on it.