Zero Top Rack
From Unofficial Zero Manual
Zero offers the only supported top rack solution for 2013+ S platform and X platform models:
- Top Box Rack Kit for the S platform, without a case.
- Top Box Rack Kit for the X platform, without a case.
- Mounting plates
- The Givi E251 Monokey universal mounting plate adapts most large Givi cases to the OEM top rack.
- Monolock universal mounting plate adapts smaller, more scooter-oriented Givi cases to the OEM top rack.
- All Givi top plate options, most not confirmed to fit.
- early forum thread about some options
- Other manufacturers' top plates should fit if they're meant for a Givi bolt pattern.
- Difficulty: Trivial (15 minute job).
- See OEM Top Rack Install
- Design Issues
- The rack is only fastened via the two M5 bolts into the top of the frame under the seat.
- Downside: The strain on those bolts can accumulate if the rack has any freedom of motion.
- Upside: This connection makes the top rack a cheap sacrificial point if the bike goes down in a certain way, particularly with the police models' use of a rear rack bar.
- Recommendation: When removing the seat bolts, remove any load from the top rack (and side racks) to avoid straining these bolts and possibly breaking them.
- Don't add load to the racks without the seat bolts inserted.
- The top rack plate is smaller than a Givi Monokey or other larger vendor's case surface.
- Crafting an aluminum plate to fix to the existing plate is workable with a drill and the right machined piece of (say) aluminum.